LEARN THE FACTS!
Cancer as a disease is associated with a lot of myths and beliefs. This year the Tanzanian Medical Students Association of Tanzania (TAMSA) wants you to learn the facts.
Myth # 1
Cancer is just a health issue.
Cancer is not just a health issue, it has wide reaching social, economic, developmental, and human rights implication.
Cancer is a disease of the wealthy, elderly and developed countries.
Cancer is a global epidemic; it affects all ages and socio-economic groups, with developing countries bearing a disproportionate burden.
Cancer is a death sentence.
Many cancers that were once considered a death sentence can now be cured and treated effectively.
Cancer is my fate.
With the right strategies, a third of the most common cancers can be prevented.
CANCER FACTS FOR CANCER AWARENESS.
Did you know…?
- Cancer is responsible for about 43% of deaths among women in Tanzania?
- In Tanzania, about 32% of cancer deaths are in people less than 60 years of age?
- Lung cancer caused by cigarrete smoking is the most common cancer worldwide followed by breast cancer?
- Cervical cancer is the leading type of cancer in women in Tanzania and that the virus that causes it is sexually transmitted?
- That most cancers are curable if caught early by routine screening and examinations?
- Patients whose cancers are curable in the developed world unnecessarily suffer and die due to a lack of awareness, resources and access to affordable, effective and quality cancer services that enable early diagnosis and appropriate treatment and care.?
- Increasing public and political awareness that solutions exist and can be implemented and integrated in all resource settings is essential to achieving equity in cancer prevention and care?
BE AWARE; HELP A FRIEND, SAVE A FRIEND. TOGETHER WE CAN FIGHT CANCER!
Prepared by TAMSA-Hubert Kairuki Memorial University 2013